The Village of Clemmons was incorporated as a municipality in December of 1986. Today, the Village of Clemmons is a thriving community and a desirable place to live and work. The proximity of Clemmons to Winston-Salem via Interstate 40 has contributed to the rapid growth of the Village. As the Village has developed, the built environment changed from a smaller, village-scale community to a municipality with more auto-oriented developments.
Currently, there is a strong desire in the Village to redevelop in a way that reflects the historic community character. In 2010, Clemmons Community Compass, The 2030 Comprehensive Plan, was adopted by the Clemmons Village Council to guide the municipality’s future growth.
- Encouraging mixed-use and pedestrian-friendly developments: Village Point Small Area Plan, Community Compass Plan.
- Encouraging different housing types and “village-scale” town centers: Village Point Small Area Plan, Community Compass Plan.
- Creating more efficient, safe and convenient multimodal transportation system: Village Transportation Plan, Community Compass Plan.
- Making the community more livable: Tree Ordinance, Sign Ordinance and proposed study of and improvements to Lewisville-Clemmons Road.
- Connect streets to have a better system of roads: Community Compass Plan and Village Transportation Plan.
- Assuring that the appearance of existing and new buildings, development patterns and streetscapes contribute to the feel and desired identity for the Village.
- Developing design strategies and securing funding for improvements to Lewisville-Clemmons Road.
- Establishing a civic-focused Village Center at the Village Point/Novant Health development area.
- Adding more recreational opportunities.
- Implementing the Village Transportation Plan and developing a multimodal transportation system.
- Developing a 10-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Ensuring a stable Village economy that provides new public services and amenities at a reasonable cost.
- Making sure there is regional coordination and cooperation for land use decisions and utilities provision along the Village edges.
- Updating the Unified Development Ordinance to reflect goals from the Community Compass Plan.
Post a Comment