- Maintaining the 65+ population in their homes when possible (80% own their home)
- Making structural improvements necessary for ease of access
- Maintaining the healthy outcomes currently experienced by older adults in the county
- Ensuring that pharmacies and medical care facilities are distributed throughout the county
- Expanding and improving transportation routes especially to rural areas
- Ensuring a system is in place to address non-drivers
- The limited use of recreation centers which may be a function of location
To address these issues and to provide for the projected increase in senior citizens, plan recommendations can consider ways to create new age-friendly communities. Strategies can include providing access to services, recreation and shopping, and age-friendly design encouraging safe walking and biking. Existing neighborhoods, where possible, should be made more age-friendly through retrofitting.